Statutory guidance setting out the arrangements for the constitution of school governing bodies formed prior to 1 September 2012.
This statutory guidance is for:
- school leaders
- school staff
- governing bodies
- local authorities
It explains the arrangements for the constitution of the governing bodies of maintained schools:
- formed prior to 1 September 2012
- where there is no change to the instrument of government after that date
4 separate versions are available for the following types of maintained schools:
- community schools
- community special schools
- foundation schools
- foundation special schools
- voluntary aided schools
- maintained nursery schools
Please ensure you read the appropriate version for your school.
The guidance covers:
- the description of the different categories of governor
- how governing bodies are to be constituted
- terms of office
- removal and disqualification of governors
- instruments of government
- all aspects of the School Governance (Constitution) (England) Regulations 2007
Each version contains a model instrument of government (annex B), these are also available separately for schools to download and fill in.
If your governing body was formed or changed their instrument of government after 1 September 2012, please refer to the statutory guidance on the ‘School Governance (Constitution) Regulations 2012’ instead.