Innovative UK companies have enormous potential to scale up and contribute to growth in the UK economy. However, businesses don’t always know what they need to do, or what investors expect of them when attempting this level of fast growth.
We commissioned the marketing analytics specialists Ebiquity to speak to business leaders and UK and international investors to find out where business leaders and investors agree on investing to scale up and where they do not.
The report found that management teams in businesses consistently underestimated the importance investors placed on personal chemistry, communications skills and resilience.
Key findings also included:
- sustainable growth was most commonly seen by business leaders and investors as key to scale-up
- a strong management team was the most critical factor for success
- investors looked for drive, passion and resilience in a management team
- fear of losing control was the main reason for businesses avoiding equity investment
- UK scale-ups would welcome more support and advice