Local level information on rates of pupil absence in schools in England during the autumn term 2011.
Reference Id: SFR07/2012
Publication Type: Statistical First Release
Publication data: Local Authority data
Local Authority data: LA data
Release Date: 14 June 2012
Coverage status: Final
Publication Status: Published
This statistical first release (SFR) reports absence during the autumn term 2011 in maintained primary schools, maintained secondary schools, city technology colleges and academies in England.
It is based on pupil level absence data collected via the spring 2012 school census. This release provides local level information on:
- rates of absence (authorised, unauthorised and overall) by type of school
- number of persistent absentees and the number on track to becoming persistent absentees
- the proportion of absence by reason
Data for autumn term 2010 was published in May 2011.
The Head of Profession for Statistics decided to delay the publication of these statistics pending the completion of further quality assurance checks. These statistics were published on 14 June 2012; they were due to be issued on 29 May 2012.
The key points from the latest release are:
- The proportion of pupils who were persistent absentees across state-funded primary and secondary schools decreased, from 1.0% to 0.8% , the lowest level over the last 5 years.
- The overall absence rate across state-funded primary and secondary schools decreased, from 6.1% to 4.7%, the lowest level over the last 5 years.
Andrew Clarke - Schools Statistical Team