Statistics on freight handled by UK ports during 2012.
Summarises the final 2012 statistics on freight handled by UK sea ports. This release updates the provisional annual statistics published in June. The quarterly series for 2012 has been finalised alongside this final annual release.
- total UK port freight traffic (tonnage) fell to 500.9 million tonnes, returning to levels seen in 2009.
- inward freight traffic fell to 319.5 million tonnes and outwards freight traffic fell to the lowest level in 30 years at 181.4 million tonnes.
- the decline has mainly been affected by the reduction in liquid bulk, specifically liquefied gas which fell by 34% and crude oil which fell by 8%.
- however dry bulk increased in 2012 by 7%, mainly due to the 27% increase in coal.
- unitised traffic handled by UK major ports fell for the second consecutive year to 20.8 million units.
Maritime and shipping statistics enquiries
Contact form https://www.surveymonk...
Domestic waterborne freight enquiries 020 7944 2168
Seafarers statistics enquiries 020 7944 3087
Shipping statistics enquiries 020 7944 4119
Sea passengers statistics enquiries 020 7944 3087
Ports statistics enquiries 020 7944 2168