Number of firearms certificates in England and Wales 2010 to 2011.
- While the number of firearm certificates on issue fell in the last year, the number of firearms covered by such certificates (464,839 firearms) increased and is the highest number since these figures were first collected in 1995.
- There were 564,269 shotgun certificates on issue on 31 March 2011, a fall of three per cent from the 580,653 on issue at the end of March 2010.
- Around one per cent of new applications for firearm certificates and two per cent of new applications for shotgun certificates were refused in 2010/11, similar to the level in 2009/10.
- A total of 404 firearm certificates were revoked in 2010/11, compared with 302 in 2009/10 and 260 in 2008/09. This is the highest number since the series began in 1992.
- There were 3,205 registered firearm dealers on 31 March 2011, compared with 3,182 last year, a small increase of less than one per cent.