Margaret Edwards was appointed to the Agency Board in October 2014. She is also Chair of the Agency’s Audit & Risk Committee. She has 25 years’ senior management experience in the NHS and Department of Health, including:
- Chief Executive, Yorkshire and Humber Strategic Health Authority
- Director-General of Access and Choice, Department of Health
- Director-General of Performance, Department of Health
- NHS National Board member
- Chief Executive of a large district general hospital and mental health trust that was awarded ‘Trust of the Year’ under Margaret’s leadership.
This was then followed by 5 years as Vice President at pharmaceuticals company McKesson. Margaret is currently Chair of the Civil Service Pension Board, and Chair of the National Oversight Group for High Secure Mental Health services. She is also a member of the Senior Salaries Pay Review Body.
The Review Body on Senior Salaries provides independent advice to the Prime Minister, the Lord Chancellor, the Secretary of State for Defence, the Secretary of State for Health and the Home Secretary on the pay of: the judiciary; senior civil servants; senior officers of the armed forces; certain senior managers in the NHS; Police and Crime Commissioners; chief police officers; and other such public appointments as may from time to time be specified.
Government non-executive directors provide advice and bring an external perspective to the business of government departments. They do not have decision-making powers.