What we do
We are the UK government department responsible for policy and regulations on environmental, food and rural issues.
We are responsible for policy and regulations on:
- the natural environment, biodiversity, plants and animals
- sustainable development and the green economy
- food, farming and fisheries
- animal health and welfare
- environmental protection and pollution control
- rural communities and issues
Although Defra only works directly in England, it works closely with the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and generally leads on negotiations in the EU and internationally.
Our priorities are:
- leading the world in food and farming
- protecting our country from floods and animal and plant diseases
- improving the environment
- championing the countryside and improving rural services
Our 10 point growth plan underpins our four priorities:
Growing our sectors and their exports
- increase exports and competitiveness in the food chain
- set the conditions to ensure that GM and nanotechnology can play a part in contributing to economic growth
- improve rural competitiveness and skills, invest in tourism and support micro-enterprises
- proactively safeguard animal and plant health
- reduce waste and inefficiency
Investing in infrastructure
- improve broadband and mobile phone access in rural areas
- invest in flood and coastal protection
- Thames Tideway Tunnel
Removing regulatory and other barriers to growth
- unblock growth potential by removing red tape and improving environmental challenge
- make it simpler and quicker to comply with the Habitats and Wild Birds Directives
Detailed actions can be found in our Business Plan
Who we are
We have around 10,000 staff, including those at our executive agencies. Our staff are mainly based in London, York, Bristol and Alnwick, but we have many other offices throughout England.
Our headquarters building is Nobel House, in Smith Square, London SW1.
Defra publishes a range of corporate information on data.gov including information on staffing and salaries.