Ministerial responsibilities will be confirmed in due course.
Current role holder: Sam Gyimah MP
Sam Gyimah was appointed as a joint Minister for Higher Education at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and the Department for Education on 9 January 2018. He was elected the Conservative MP for East Surrey in 2010.
He studied philosophy, politics and economics at Somerville College, Oxford.
- Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice from July 2016 to January 2018
- Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Education from May 2015 until July 2016
- Parliamentary Secretary at the Cabinet Office from July 2014 until March 2015
- a Government Whip from October 2013 to July 2014
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Prime Minister David Cameron from 2012 to 2013
- a member of the International Development Select Committee from 2011 to 2012
- a member of the Speaker’s Committee on the Electoral Commission 2010 to 2012
Career outside politics
Sam spent 5 years working for Goldman Sachs and then went on to help build and develop a number of small businesses in the training, recruitment and internet sectors.
Sam is married and has 2 children.