Lesotho travel advice


There is no British diplomatic representation in Lesotho. If you need emergency consular assistance, you should contact the British Honorary Consul barrett@leo.co.ls.

Most visits to Lesotho are trouble free. However, you should take sensible precautions to protect yourself against crime. See Crime.

There is a low threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. 

Safety and security


Muggers in central Maseru frequently target foreign nationals. Don’t walk alone in isolated areas or after dark and avoid driving in rural areas at night. When driving in urban centres, especially Maseru, keep doors locked, windows shut and valuables out of sight. Park in well-lit areas and do not pick up strangers. Take care at the approaches to main border crossings, particularly at night. There have been cases of armed car-jacking. If you are involved in such an incident, offer no resistance.

Take precautions to safeguard valuables and cash. Leave them in hotel safes, where practicable. Keep copies of important documents, including passports, in a separate place.

Local travel

There is no effective public transport system or reliable taxi service in Lesotho.

Road travel

A British driving licence or International Driving Permit is valid for use in Lesotho for up up to three months. If you wish to drive for a longer period, you will need a local driving licence.

Driving standards in Lesotho are poor and you should drive carefully.  Local mini-bus taxis are often poorly maintained and uninsured, and ignore road safety rules. Animals roaming on the roads are a hazard, especially at night.

Air travel

The European Commission has published a list of air carriers that are subject to an operating ban or restrictions within the European Union.

Political situation

There are occasional spontaneous political demonstrations in Maseru. You should avoid demonstrations, rallies and large public gatherings.


There is a low threat from terrorism, but you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks which could be in public areas, including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

Local laws and customs

Homosexuality is illegal.

Possession of drugs is a serious offence and punishments can be severe.

Entry requirements


British nationals can obtain entry visas on arrival. Overstaying without proper authority is a serious matter. You may be held in detention. 

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 90 days from the date of exit from Lesotho. You must have at least two spare pages to allow the immigration authorities to affix visa stamps.

Yellow fever

Yellow Fever vaccination is required for travellers who are arriving from, or have transited through, countries with risk of yellow fever transmission.

South Africa

If you intend to visit South Africa before or after Lesotho you should be aware that while South African authorities state officially that only one blank passport page is required for entry, there have been reports of some South African officials insisting on two blank pages.

Contact FCO Travel Advice Team

If you have a question about this travel advice, you can email the FCO Travel Advice Team:

Want to know whether your passport’s valid for travel? Don’t send an email - you can get this info now in the entry requirements section of this travel advice



Contact your GP around 8 weeks before your trip to check whether you need any vaccinations or other preventive measures. Country specific information and advice is published by the National Travel Health Network and Centre, and useful information about healthcare abroad, including a country-by-country guide of reciprocal health care agreements with the UK, is available from NHS Choices.

Lesotho has only very basic medical facilities. Expatriates use medical facilities in Bloemfontein, South Africa, a 90-minute drive (140km) from Maseru. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad, including evacuation by air and repatriation.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 121 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.