Action by Laboratory staff
- Determine if estradiol immunoassays are used in your laboratory.
- Continue to use affected estradiol immunoassays for patients not on fulvestrant.
- If measuring estradiol levels in patients on fulvestrant consider alternative methods, such as Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS).
- Consider the need to carry out a review of previously reported test results.
- Monitor the MHRA website or subscribe to email alerts for any possible further FSNs on this issue.
Action by Healthcare personnel managing patients on this drug
- When test requests include estradiol, state if the patient is on fulvestrant.
- Consider reassessing the menopausal status of patients on fulvestrant by other means where necessary.
Deadlines for actions
Actions underway: 04 April 2016
Actions complete: 25 April 2016
|Assay||Test Code||Catalog Number||Siemens Material Number (SMN)||Lot Number|
|ADVIA Centaur® Enhanced Estradiol1||eE2||10490889 10491445 10697757||10490889 10491445 10697757||All lots|
|Dimension Vista® LOCI Estradiol2||E2||K6463||10489099||All lots|
|IMMULITE®/ IMMULITE 1000 Estradiol||E2||LKE21 LKE21(D)||10381132 10702832||All lots|
|IMMULITE® 2000 Estradiol3||E2||L2KE22 L2KE22 (D) L2KE26 L2KE26 (D)||10381178 10702833 10381177 10702834||All lots|
- The same reagents are used on the ADVIA Centaur, ADVIA Centaur XP, ADVIA Centaur XPT and ADVIA Centaur CP systems.
- The same reagents are used on the Dimension Vista 500 and 1500 systems.
- The same reagents are used on the IMMULITE 2000 and IMMULITE 2000 XPi systems.
|Product Name||Product Description||GMMI / Part No||Lot Number|
|Estradiol II||Elecsys Estradiol II assay||Estradiol II 03000079190||All lots|
|Estradiol III||Elecsys Estradiol III assay||Estradiol III 06656021190||All lots|
Please note oestradiol is used interchangeably with estradiol.
Problem / background
Siemens and Roche both manufacture a number of estradiol assays and have communicated that the drug fulvestrant (Faslodex®) may cause falsely elevated estradiol results in assays. Fulvestrant has a similar chemical structure to estradiol and may cross-react with the antibodies used in immunoassays.
Fulvestrant is indicated for the treatment of postmenopausal women with oestrogen receptor positive breast cancer, locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer for disease relapse on or after adjuvant anti-oestrogen therapy, or disease progression on therapy with an anti-oestrogen. If the listed estradiol assays are used for this group of post-menopausal women, falsely elevated estradiol results could lead to misinterpretation of the menopausal status of these women. This may result in treatment with fulvestrant being altered.
ADVIA Centaur ®
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics Inc.
511 Benedict Avenue
Tarrytown, NY 10591, USA
Tel: Please see below
Email: Please see below
Dimension Vista ®
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics Inc.
500 GBC Drive
Newark, DE 19714, USA
Tel: Please see below
E Mail: Please see below
Phone contact for the above USA based manufacturers in the UK (European Authorised Representative).
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics Limited
Newton House, Sir William Siemens Square
Tel: 01908 282 433
IMMULITE ® / IMMULITE 1000, IMMULITE 2000 ®
Siemens Healthcare Products Limited
LLanberis, Caernarfon, Gwynedd, LL55 4EL
Tel: 01286 871 871
Estradiol II/ Estradiol III
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
Sandhofer Strasse 116
Tel: +49 621 759-3511 Email: email@example.com
If you are responsible for cascading these alerts in your organisation, these are our suggested distribution lists.
Trusts (NHS boards in Scotland)
CAS and SABS (NI) liaison officers for onward distribution to all relevant staff including:
- Adult intensive care units
- All wards
- Biomedical science departments
- Clinical pathologists
- Clinical pathology directors
- Community hospitals
- Community nurses
- Haemodialysis nurses
- Haemodialysis units
- Intensive care nursing staff (adult)
- Intensive care units
- Intensive care, directors of
- Medical directors
- Medical oncologists
- Medical oncology, directors of
- Oncology nurse specialists
- Radiation & medical oncology departments
- Radiation oncologists
- Radiation oncology, directors of
- Risk managers
- Supplies managers
Public Health England
Directors for onward distribution to:
- Collaborating centres
- Consultants in communicable disease control
- Divisional directors
- Heads of department
- Heads of health, safety and quality
- Health protection nurses
- HPA laboratories
- Laboratory managers
- Regional business managers
- Regional directors
- Regional epidemiologists
- Regional leads
- Regional microbiologists
- Risk manager
- Safety officers
NHS England area teams
CAS liaison officers for onward distribution to all relevant staff including:
- General practice managers
- General practice nurses
- General practitioners
This Medical Device Alert is being sent to GPs for information only, in circumstances where patients may seek advice about the contents of this notice. GPs need take no further action on receipt of this alert.’
Liaison officers for onward distribution to all relevant staff including:
Establishments registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) (England only)
Please note: CQC and OFSTED do not distribute these alerts. Independent healthcare providers and social care providers can sign up to receive MDAs directly from the Department of Health’s Central Alerting System (CAS) by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting this facility.
Send enquiries about this notice to MHRA, quoting reference number MDA/2016/004 or 2016/001/018/601/005.
Caroline Olabisi, MHRA
Tel: 020 3080 6580
Dr Soundararajan Jagdish, MHRA
Tel: 020 3080 7187 Email: email@example.com
Reporting adverse incidents in England
Alerts in Northern Ireland are distributed via the NI SABS system.
Enquiries and adverse incident reports in Northern Ireland should be addressed to:
Northern Ireland Adverse Incident Centre, CMO Group,
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Tel: 028 9052 3868
Fax: 028 9052 3900
Please report directly to NIAIC using the forms on our website.
Enquiries and adverse incident reports in Scotland should be addressed to:
Incident Reporting and Investigation Centre,
Health Facilities Scotland,
NHS National Services Scotland
Tel: 0131 275 7575
Fax: 0131 314 0722
Reporting adverse incidents in Scotland
NHS Boards and Local Authorities in Scotland – report to Health Facilities Scotland.
Contractors such as private hospitals carrying out NHS work and private care homes that accept social work funded clients – report to Health Facilities Scotland.
Enquiries in Wales should be addressed to:
Healthcare Quality Division,
Tel: 02920 823 624 / 02920 825 510