This research guide was prepared as part of the joint FAO-UNICEF From
Protection to Production (PtoP) project. The project takes advantage of
ongoing impact evaluations of cash transfer programs in Sub Saharan
Africa to look at the impact of these programs on household economic
activities, including labor supply, as well as the impact on the local
economy. The project is using a mixed method approach, combining
econometric analysis of impact evaluation data, local economy SAM/CGE
models, and qualitative methods.
This research guide on qualitative methods provides an overview of the
training, fieldwork preparation and research process in each case study
country, introduces the participatory tools that will be used to help
gather information and provides guidance for conducting key informant
interviews and facilitating focus group discussions.
It is designed as an easy-to-use overall guide for the research teams in
the case study countries and therefore minimises the repetition of
information which is provided elsewhere (e.g. in the Concept Note).
The guide is structured as follows:
- Section 1 provides a brief introduction.
- Section 2 lists the key evaluation questions and hypotheses.
- Section 3 outlines the research process, including the structure for
the training workshop.
- Section 4 explains the overall research methods and approaches.
- Section 5 provides more detailed question guidelines for each thematic
- Annex A describes how to use the participatory research tools.
- Annex B details a proposed training schedule for the national field
Whilst Sections 2-4 apply generically across the case study research
countries, the research process in each country will contextualise and
nuance the question guidelines in Section 5 to suit the programme
context in that country.
Anon. Qualitative research and analyses of the economic impacts of cash transfer programmes in Sub Saharan Africa. A research guide prepared for the From Protection to Production project. Oxford Policy Management, Oxford, UK 45 pp.
Qualitative research and analyses of the economic impacts of cash transfer programmes in Sub Saharan Africa. A research guide prepared for the From Protection to Production project.