Qualitative research and analyses of the economic impacts of cash transfer programmes in Sub Saharan Africa. A research guide prepared for the From Protection to Production project.
This research guide was prepared as part of the joint FAO-UNICEF From Protection to Production (PtoP) project. The project takes advantage of ongoing impact evaluations of cash transfer programs in Sub Saharan Africa to look at the impact of these programs on household economic activities, including labor supply, as well as the impact on the local economy. The project is using a mixed method approach, combining econometric analysis of impact evaluation data, local economy SAM/CGE models, and qualitative methods.
This research guide on qualitative methods provides an overview of the training, fieldwork preparation and research process in each case study country, introduces the participatory tools that will be used to help gather information and provides guidance for conducting key informant interviews and facilitating focus group discussions.
It is designed as an easy-to-use overall guide for the research teams in the case study countries and therefore minimises the repetition of information which is provided elsewhere (e.g. in the Concept Note).
The guide is structured as follows:
- Section 1 provides a brief introduction.
- Section 2 lists the key evaluation questions and hypotheses.
- Section 3 outlines the research process, including the structure for the training workshop.
- Section 4 explains the overall research methods and approaches.
- Section 5 provides more detailed question guidelines for each thematic area.
- Annex A describes how to use the participatory research tools.
- Annex B details a proposed training schedule for the national field team.
Whilst Sections 2-4 apply generically across the case study research countries, the research process in each country will contextualise and nuance the question guidelines in Section 5 to suit the programme context in that country.
Anon. Qualitative research and analyses of the economic impacts of cash transfer programmes in Sub Saharan Africa. A research guide prepared for the From Protection to Production project. Oxford Policy Management, Oxford, UK 45 pp.