FG6: Invisible fencing system
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the invisible fencing system item.
This item is not available for use until further notice.
How much will be paid
£1.80 per metre (m).
Where to use this item
Available for Higher Tier.
With a land management option and one of the following:
- the introduction of a new management regime to the agreement area
- a substantial change in grazing management
It can only be used when it is not possible to introduce traditional wooden or wire fencing alone, such as when:
- it would damage historic or archaeological features
- the land is common land or other open access land
- there are significant and overriding open landscape priorities, meaning normal post and wire fencing would be too visually intrusive, or would provoke significant local opposition
How this item will benefit the environment
It helps to achieve more effective management of priority habitats or landscape enhancement, without the negative landscape effect of a conventional post and wire fence line.
Agreement holders will need to agree with Natural England in year 1 of the agreement a specification and precise location for the invisible fencing. The works should be completed as set out in the approved specification and within the agreed timescale.
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Higher Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the completed work
The detailed requirements for this item will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Higher Tier applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
The payment for this item does not include the cost of the animal collars and GPS transponder units that are required when using this approach. These costs may be eligible for funding using the FM2 capital item; Major preparatory works for priority habitats (creation and restoration) and priority species.
See the Higher Tier manual to find out more about the scheme and how to apply.
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.